Is Oral Sedation Right For You?
Oral sedation is a great way to relax your body and mind during dental visits. While this practice is offered at many offices, it isn’t the right choice for everyone. Find out if this is a good option for your next dental treatment.
What is Oral Sedation Dentistry?
It is commonly known that when a person gets scared and anxious, their pain threshold also gets lower. This can make dental work difficult for anyone with anxiety about their appointment. Oral sedation has been offered as a way to relax the patient so treatments can be performed easily.
Oral sedatives have been researched to be completely safe and effective when used by a trained professional. There are many different varieties of oral sedation that can currently be used. Your dentist will be able to tell you what options might be available to you.
Things to Discuss with Your Dentist
There are some cases where it might not be wise to use oral sedation. Be sure you discuss the following concerns with your dentist:
• Any medical conditions you are receiving treatment for
• Any medications you are currently taking (includes over-the-counter medications and vitamins)
• Any herbal supplements you’ve been consuming
• Smoking, alcohol or drug use
Planning for Your Appointment
Once you’ve decided that oral sedation will work for you, it is time to get ready for that appointment. Here are some helpful tips to remember:
• If instructed, be sure to take some sedation medication the night before to achieve a good night’s sleep
• Avoid eating or drinking anything prior to the appointment unless your dentist advises otherwise
• Take some time off work after the appointment
• Have someone to drive you home if you are planning a sedation method that won’t wear off immediately
• Stay hydrated following the appointment
If you struggle with anxiety over your dental appointments, you are not alone. Many people get scared when dealing with dental treatments. Thankfully, there are many options available to you to enable relaxation. Consult with your dentist and discuss the options that can be used. There is no more reason to put off trips to our Novi dental office.