Dentist in Novi MI Discusses Lumineers
For patients who do not like the appearance of their teeth, Lumineers are an excellent treatment choice for improving aesthetics. Lumineers are a specific type of dental veneer. They are extremely thin and fit over the outer surfaces of teeth, thereby disguising any unsightly discoloration, chips, or gaps in the teeth they adhere to.
It is important to know that Lumineers are best suited for patients with healthy gums and teeth (aside from whatever cosmetic issues they may have). Cavities, gum disease, and other issues must be treated before a patient can benefit fully from Lumineers. This variant of dental veneers are usually very long-lived and are removable when necessary.
Lumineers can solve a variety of cosmetic dental problems, including:
• Spacing between the teeth
• Teeth that are crooked or slightly overlapped
• Teeth with unusual or unattractive shapes
• Tooth staining
• A gum line that is too low or uneven
• Previous dental work that has lost its luster
How Do They Differ From Traditional Veneers?
Lumineers require no physical alterations of the teeth, whereas traditional veneers require that the tooth be irreversibly altered to make room for the restoration. The Lumineers themselves are so thin and non-invasive that very little difference is noticed in the feel or function of the teeth after they are applied. Other benefits Lumineers include:
• Long life span
• No needles, no drilling, no irreversible alterations of teeth
• Treatment is easily reverse
• Can be completed in two painless appointments
• Extremely strong--Lumineers are made from a special type of porcelain. Although thinner than traditional veneers, Lumineers are actually much stronger and less likely to break.
Because Lumineers require no alteration of the teeth, they are usually fitted very easily. They are carefully bonded to the outside surfaces of teeth using an ultra-strong cement that can hold them in place for decades. Little more than a few impressions and x-rays are required to start the process of getting Lumineers. There are many customization options, which your dentist can help walk you through, including size, shape, and color.
If you are unhappy with the look or feel of your teeth but do not want to commit to irreversible alteration of your teeth, Lumineers may be the perfect option. Your dentist in Novi, MI can help you decide if you are a good candidate, as well as recommending design specifics that will give you a smile you can be proud of.